Built in 1895, the C. A. Thayer was part of a mighty Pacific Coast fleet of sailing schooners that carried lumber to San Francisco from Washington, Oregon and the California Redwood Coast. Later, the vessel supplied the Alaskan salt-salmon canneries, anchoring out during the summer and returning in September with the season’s catch packed in her hold. From 1925 to 1950, C. A. Thayer carried men north to the Bering Sea cod fishing grounds. She was purchased by the State of California in 1957, and transferred to the National Park Service in 1977. Now a National Historic Landmark, the C.A. Thayer is a rare survivor from the days when strong canvas sails billowed over tall deckloads of freshly milled fir and redwood. Today, she is open to the public daily as a part of the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.